If you are an Indian, I am sure you remember a T.V. commercial in which a grandfather convinces his stubborn grandchild to come inside the house and relish his favorite Jalebis OR the movie Baghban in which the grandparents teach their grand kids about the moral values and ethics even when they are considered as a burden by their own kids.
This clearly implies that Grandparents are a delightful blend of laughter, caring deeds, moral stories and love!! But being spent less time with my own grandparents and never seen my maternal grandparents, it is a sheer delight for me watching my son experience this form of eternal love. The shine and happiness in the eyes of our parents when they are with him is ineffable. And it always feels great for bringing the reason behind their smiles in this world. Also read a tribute to my own Grandmother HERE.
We as parents strive to give the best to our kids but the role of Grandparents in ours as well as our kids’ lives can’t be overlooked too. Just for instance:
- When kids catch cold, doctor’s prescription may suffice but grandma’s warm glass of Haldi wala doodh [Turmeric Milk] does the real magic!!!
- When Daddy is tired and exhausted after a stressful day at work and child demands to play along, grand dad’s back turned into a pretend ghoda [horse] does the wonders!!
- When an ever anxious mommy spends whole night googling about the imaginary weird symptoms in her baby, the reassurance given by Grandma finally calms her!!
- When the fussy eater baby refuses to eat all those fancy recipes, the simple Halwa by grandma sometimes intrigues the little stubborn culprit!!
- When the child gets bored of all the fairy and Disney world tales, the real life history of our Gods by grandparents motivate and instill the faith of God in little ones!!
- When we are too busy improving the English Vocabulary of our children, sometimes learning our native language from grandparents opens up a whole new world for the child as “A Different Language is a Different Vision of Life – Federico Fellini!!”
- When the child’s school project and our office project have the same deadlines, Grandparents’ classic ideas come to the rescue!!
- When we lose our calm in front of kids, grandparents make sure to tender, love and care our little bundles of joy and give us some time to compose ourselves!!
- When we get tired of listening to our kid’s same story again and again or playing the same game time and again, the grandparents’ patience and listening skills surely make us feel awe of them!!
Do we need another reason to adore these angels?
On a lighter note, an American humorist Samuel Levenson once quoted that the reason Grandchildren & Grandparents get along so well is that they share the same enemy. Well it made me laugh but we all take turns to be on a particular side. So Let’s cherish this beautiful bond of our parents and our kids for now and let’s take a pledge to make it more exquisite with our own grandchildren!!
I would like to thank Meiling for introducing me. You can read her views on “Staying Connected with Grandparents” HERE.
Next up, introducing Sonam Jain from The Magic Platter , the mother of a toddler who plates stories. Her platters are creative, whimsical and attractive ensuring kids especially picky eaters to get hooked on to home made food without being fussy about anything. Check out her blog to read her views on the same.